This is a really tough time of year for a lot of people. It often feels like the last ditch effort of the previous year to send a bunch of us off the proverbial cliff. Depression, for many of us, drains our energy and reminds us of the people we’ve lost. Others feel lonely and abandoned, less than. Excluded. This year, on the heels of the most divisive elections and the most intense seasons of ugliness, I’m choosing to “act as if” my life is bliss and just see what happens.
The only other thing that works for me is a gratitude list. It has the ability to quiet the damaging tornado winds of criticism and negative self talk, (A.K.A. bullshit) my mind tries to trick me with. So here it is. Feel free to borrow, or steal from this list if you’ve never taken the time to actually create a written list. Committing these thoughts to paper gives them more power than you can imagine, and who doesn’t need more power right now?
- My spouse. I am such a lucky girl.
- My friends. How could any of us ever manage our lives without the wonderful people who love and support us even when we are assholes?
- My family. Exactly as they are.
- My dog. Get one and see.
- My Sobriety. I got sober two days before Thanksgiving 28 years ago. That’s a long time without a drink, but I got to live my life rather than die, and that’s an incredible trade off.
- My experiences. I am such a lucky girl. Yes, I know I’ve mentioned.
- My health. So many people have serious health challenges. Mine is not perfect, but I have nothing to complain about when I see others standing tall despite theirs.
- My passion, skills, and talents. Otherwise I’d sit in a closet all day eating stuff that wasn’t good for me rather than writing, growing food, and figuring out where to move next.
- My life. I am so over the moon grateful that the Universe took a chance on me. I can’t wait to see what happens next.
- Cake. And just like that…bliss.